Tony surfs all summer long. He lives in southern California where surfing is a very popular sport. Almost every day after work, he goes to the beach with his surfboard to meet his friends and see what the waves look like.
Some days the water is calm, but small waves are not good for surfing. It's important to have big waves. On days when the waves are big, there are a lot of surfers. Sometimes it gets too crowded.
A lot of people like to watch Tony surf. He's very good at it. Someday he wants to become a professional surfer, but his parents want him to become a doctor.
Next month Tony is going down to Mexico to surf. His friends tell him that the waves are bigger there, and there aren't too many surfers.
O O O O O O O O O O O O O O
Now you try it. Read the paragraph above. If you have a microphone, you can record your voice and compare it to my voice.
How much do you remember from the reading? Fill in the blanks.
- 1A: What does Tony like to do in the summer?
- 1B: He likes to _____________.
- 2A: What conditions are necessary for surfing?
- 2B: Surfers need big _____________.
- 3A: What does Tony's parents want him to become?
- 3B: They want him to become a ____________.
- 4A: Where is Tony going next month?
- 4B: He's going to _______________.
(Answers: 1. surf; 2. waves; 3. doctor; 4. Mexico)
Or....Move forward to the Red Level