The Winter Olympic Games happen once every four years. This year the games were in Sochi, Russia. The previous Winter Olympic Games were in Vancouver, Canada in 2010.
Athletes come to the Olympic games from all over the world. They compete against each other in many different winter sports such as skiing, skating, bobsledding, and hockey.
Winners receive medals. The top prize is a gold medal. Second prize is a silver medal, and third prize is a bronze medal. The winners receive their medals at an awards ceremony, but everyone who competes in the Olympics is a winner. It's an honor to participate in this peaceful, global event.
O O O O O O O O O O O O O O
Now you try it. Read the paragraph above. If you have a microphone, you can record your voice and compare it to my voice.
How much do you remember from the reading? Fill in the blanks.
- 1A: How often are the Olympics games held?
- 1B: They happen __________ every ________ years.
- 2A: What does the first place winner receive?
- 2B: He or she receives a _________ _________.
- 3A: What does the second place winner receive?
- 3B: The person who comes in second gets a __________ medal.
(Answers: 1. once.....four; 2. gold medal; 3. silver)
Or....Move forward to the Red Level