The United Nations Headquarters* is in New York City. It was built in 1949. The land for the building was donated by John D. Rockefeller, and the construction of the building was financed by the United States government. Although the building is in New York City, the land that it occupies is considered to be international territory.
Inside the U.N. Headquarters is the United Nations Organization. It was founded in 1945 and it's made up of 192 member states. This organization is designed to help prevent the outbreak of conflicts between nations; it also helps provide support for people around the world who are affected by natural and human-made disasters.
United Nations offices are also located in Geneva, Vienna, and Nairobi.
English and French are the two primary languages that are spoken inside the headquarters, but because almost every country around the world is represented inside the building, it's not hard to find people who speak other languages.
- 1A: When was the United Nations Headquarters built?
- 1B: It ____ ______ in 1949.
- 2A: In what year was the United Nations Organization founded?
- 2B: It _____ ______ in 1945.
- 3A: What are the two primary languages spoken inside the building?
- 3B: Primarily English and French _____ _______.
- 4A: How many member states are there in the U.N.?
- 4B: There are _______ member states.
(1. was built; 2. was founded; 3. are spoken; 4. 192)
* The word "headquarters" can be either singular or plural. Because the word describes one main location, the singular is used in the reading selection.)