A farm is a great place to work. There are many different jobs to do on a farm, and farmers spend most of their time outside in the spring, summer, and fall. Winter is nice also if you don't mind being outside when it's cold.
Farms in the United States produce crops such as corn, wheat, soybeans, and cotton. Farms in California and Florida can grow crops all year round, so the orange juice you had for breakfast probably came from one of those states.
Some farmers raise cows for the production of milk and cheese. They're called dairy farmers. Dairy farms are very popular in the states of Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Farmers who grow apples and pears have large orchards. They're very busy in the fall months of September and October when the fruit ripens. You can go to an orchard in the fall and pick your own apples. By visiting an orchard, you can learn a little about what it's like to work on a farm.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Now you try it. Read the paragraph above. If you have a microphone, you can record your voice.
How much do you remember from the reading? Fill in the blanks.
- 1: ____ farm is _____ great place to work.
- 2. Farmers ________ most of their time outside.
- 3. Farms in California and Florida grow _______ all year round.
- 4A: In which states are dairy farms popular?
- 4B: ______ are popular in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- 5A: Where do farmers grow their apples?
- 5B: They grow apples in an _________.
(1. A....a; 2. spend; 3. crops; 4. They or Farms; 5. orchard)