Matthew gets ready to go to work early every morning. After he wakes up, he makes himself some coffee, he reads the newspaper, shaves and showers, and he has breakfast. This morning Matthew is running late, so he only has enough time to shave before he leaves his apartment.
Matthew turns on the water. The water from the faucet is cold, so he lets the water run for a minute before cupping his hands together and splashing water on his face. The warm water feels good on his skin, and it helps him wake up a little.
He puts on the shaving cream and he begins to shave. Matthew is careful when he shaves because he doesn't want to cut himself. First he shaves under his nose, then he shaves from the right side of his face to the left side of his face.
When he's finished shaving, Matthew rinses his face with water to get the shaving cream off. He dries his face off with a towel, gets dressed, and heads to work. Once he arrives at work, he'll get some coffee from the coffee shop near his office.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Now you try it. Read the paragraph above. If you have a microphone, you can record your voice.
How much do you remember from the reading? Fill in the blanks.
- 1A: Why doesn't Matthew make coffee for himself this morning?
- 1B: He is ______________ late.
- 2A: Does Matthew usually watch TV in the morning?
- 2B: No, he ____________ .
- 3A: What does he __________ on his face?
- 3B: He ___________ on some shaving cream.
- 4A: Why is he careful when he shaves?
- 4B: He doesn't want to cut _____________.
- 5A: What does he use to dry off his face?
- 5B: He uses a _______________ .
(Answers: 1. running; 2. doesn't; 3. put / puts; 4. himself; 5. towel)