December 30, 2011 - Word of the Day
When a person is tired or bored, he or she yawns:
- It's natural to yawn when you are tired.
- It's polite to cover your mouth when you yawn.
- Students express boredom in class by yawning.
- If I'm bored, I yawn.
- If a movie is boring, I yawn. (Note the difference between "bored" and "boring.")
- The old dog yawned and stretched after waking up.
You can also use "yawn" as a noun:
- It's hard to stifle a yawn when you are really tired. (stifle = prevent)
- One of my students let loose with a loud yawn in class. That was really rude.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.