November 19, 2011 - Word of the Day: stall
When a person stalls, he or she tries to delay something from happening. Sometimes the verb "stall" is similar to "stop."
- The project has stalled because the company doesn't have enough money to continue it.
- You can tell he's just stalling for time.
- My car stalled on the way to work, so I left it by the side of the highway and called my wife to pick me up.
- Cindy has to stop stalling and make a decision. (In this sentence, "stall" is used as a gerund: "stalling.")
- Come on, stop stalling! ("Stop stalling," is a command. You want someone to make a decision or do something.)
to continue working on your vocabulary.