November 16, 2011 - Word of the Day:
The word "vet" is a shortened form for "veteran" or "veterinarian. It's a good word to know because many people prefer "vet" to the longer versions.
A veteran is a person who has served in the U.S. military. You can shorten this word to "vet."
- She's a vet. He's a vet. They're both vets.
- The vets who served in Iraq are starting to come back home.
- There are thousands of vets who don't get the support they need when they return.
- Vets from World War II and the Korean War are in their 80s and 90s.
A veterinarian is an animal doctor. Many people bring their dog or cat to the vet, but there are also vets who work with farm and zoo animals.
- When we got our kitten we took her to the vet for shots.
- In some rural areas of the United States, it's not easy to find a vet for farm animals.
- Vets who work at zoos have very interesting jobs.
He works as a vet.
to continue working on your vocabulary.