We use the word "career" when talking about a person's area of employment or field of work. Some people confuse this word with "job," but you can have many different jobs within one career:
- Rihanna would like a career in broadcasting.
- What kind of career would you like to enter?
- My neighbor has had a long career as an accountant.
- Asha gave up a career in business administration because she wanted to have children.
- Bill restarted his career as a lawyer after ten years as a stay-at-home dad.
- Many people go to college because they want a good, solid career.
These sentences might help you understand the difference between the words "job" and "career."
- I've had five different jobs during my career as a teacher.
- Lana loves her career, but she hates her current job.
- Brian accepted a job in Los Angeles because it would help advance him in his career.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was first published on April 17, 2012. It was amended on January 21, 2015.