April 14, 2012 - Word of the Day: rude
"Rude" is an adjective that means not nice or impolite. We use this word for people who don't consider how their behavior affects another person.
- The salewoman was rude to the customer, so the customer left the store without buying anything.
- A student was being rude to the teacher, so the teacher told the student to leave the classroom.
- It's rude to interrupt a person who is talking.
- A rude driver cut me off in traffic the other day, and then he gave me the finger!
- Why didn't they call to say they would be late? That's so rude!
- The people who live above Bob play loud music past midnight every night. That's rude.
- Carla's boss is rude to his employees.
- Don't be rude!
The word "rudely" is an adverb:
- A student rudely interrupted the teacher.
- My apology was rudely rejected by the person whose foot I stepped on.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.