A team is a group of people who work together to achieve a common goal, namely winning in a competition. There must be two or more people to form a team.
- Lithuania has a good basketball team.
- They play as a team.
- Every team member makes a contribution.
The word "team"is also found outside the world of sports, particularly in business:
- The members of our team are meeting today to talk about a new project.
- Sandra isn't much of a team player. She rarely consults with others in the office.
- A good team leader is someone who understands how to bring everyone together to accomplish a goal.
It's also possible to use "team" as a verb:
- They teamed up with another group of people.
- Who should we team up with? (team up with = work together with)
- LAEO is teaming with another company in the production of a new series of videos.
There is no "I" in the word "team."
This is kind of an expression which means that good team members much consider the goals of the group and work together. Individual goals are secondary.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was first published on August 9, 2012. It was updated on June 30, 2015.