February 12, 2012 - Word of the Day: totally
"Totally" is an adverb. It's similar to "very" and "really." It's also similar to the words "completely" and "entirely."
- The car was totally destroyed in the accident.
- This agreement is totally unacceptable.
- The project is totally finished.
- Are you totally satisfied with your purchase?
- The classroom was totally quiet during the test.
This is a popular word among younger people. You often hear "totally" used with slang and certain expressions:
- That movie was totally awesome.
- Bob totally screwed up on that song.
- Nguyen says she's totally cool about us not going out tonight.
- They got totally wasted last weekend. (They drank too much alcohol.)
You can use "totally" as a one-word response:
- A: This Thai food is awesome!
- B: Totally!
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.