If something is easily broken or made of breakable material, the word "delicate" might be a good choice. Glass, ceramics, and pottery are all delicate. This adjective can also be applied to food, people, music, and situations.
- You have to be careful with that vase. It's very delicate.
- The petals on the flower were so delicate, they fell off when I touched them.
- Ted and Nasra's marriage has created a delicate situation for their families. He's Catholic and she's Muslim.
- This dessert has a soft and delicate flavor.
- You have to be careful with babies. They're very delicate and need to be handled carefully.
A glass vase is very delicate.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was first published on July 16, 2012. It was updated on March 6, 2016.