If something is intense, it's very strong.
- The intense heat and lack of rain caused the crops to wither and die.
- She suffers from intense pain in her back.
- Fighting in some parts of Syria has become quite intense in recent days.
- The man's feelings for his wife were so intense, he never remarried after she died.
- They had a very intense relationship.
- That movie was so intense! (This adjective is popular when describing various forms of entertainment: movies, concerts, and sporting events.)
Add an "ity" ending to the word "intense" to make the noun, "intensity."
- There's a tremendous amount of intensity in what she has to say.
- The intensity of the heat from the fire could be felt across the street.
- He does his job with a great amount of intensity.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was first published on July 20, 2012. It was updated on March 9, 2015.