Running for exercise is called "jogging." A jog is slower than a run. It's not a competitive activity.
- He's jogging.
- He likes to go for a jog in the morning. (This sentence uses "jog" as a noun.)
- Jogging is a good way to lose weight. (In this sentence, "jogging" is a gerund.)
- Do you like to jog? (to jog = infinitive)
- My friend Bob jogs about three miles every other day.
- I used to jog, but now I ride a bike for exercise.
Note: The vowel sound in the word is pronounced in various ways, depending on where you are in the United States. I have a midwestern accent, so I pronounce this word with a short o.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was first published on July 14, 2012. It was updated on March 10, 2015.