When you make money at work or through any other kind of activity, you "earn" money.
make money = earn money
- Sheila earns almost $1000 every two weeks.
- Nguyen earned $45,000 last year.
- Bob doesn't earn very much money at his job.
- How much did you earn at your garage sale?
- What can you do to earn extra money?
- People who become doctors earn a good salary.
- Gambling is not a good way to earn a living.
- If you earn enough money, you can retire early.
The noun form of "earn" is "earnings."
- What were your earnings last year?
- Their household earnings aren't enough to pay the mortgage and all of their bills.
- Don's earnings next year will be better than this year.
He earns a lot of money as a stockbroker.
Last year his earnings were over a million dollars!
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was first published on June 3, 2013. It was updated on March 5, 2015.