When something increases, it goes up.
- The air temperature usually increases during the day. (In this sentence, "increase" is a verb.)
- There was a sudden increase in temperature. (This sentence uses "increase" as a noun.)
- Increased speeds on the highway are responsible for the rise in traffic accidents. (This sentence uses "increase" as an adjective.)
- Sergey's chances of getting the job he wants are increasing. (present continuous tense verb)
- Banks blame homeowners for the increase in foreclosures. (noun)
- The company's main goal this year is to increase sales. (infinitive)
- Increasing sales is their main goal. (gerund)
- Maria noticed a slight increase in her paycheck. (noun)
- Her ability to speak in English is increasing. (present continous tense verb)
Note: This is a very common word to use when reporting on numbers and statistics.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.