A "quiz" is similar to a test, but it's usually short (20 questions or less). Teachers use quizzes to determine how well students are able to remember things that they have learned recently. They also use quizzes to determine if a student did his or her homework in preparation for class.
- Our teacher gave us a quiz on irregular verbs.
- There are hundreds of quizzes for you to take on this website.
- The teacher quizzed her students on the events leading up to World War II. (This sentence uses "quiz" as a verb.)
- Are you ready for a quiz?
- He got a good score on his quiz.
- Take out a pen and a piece of paper for a quiz.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was first published on June 29, 2012. It was updated on February 12, 2016.