March 14, 2012 - Word of the Day: ad
The word "ad" is short for "advertisement." Ads appear in newspapers, in magazines, on TV (called "commercials"), on the internet, and in many other places where a business or an organization is trying to get the attention of the general public.
- At this time of year, there are a lot of political ads on TV.
- Banner ads and ad links are popular on the internet.
- You can buy ad space in a telephone directory to help promote your business.
- People who work for ad agencies are in the business of advertising.
- There's an ad in the newspaper for a sale at Macy's.
- My neighbor found his job through the help wanted ads online.
- Restaurants that need new workers often put ads in the newspaper.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.