March 5, 2012 - Word of the Day: flow
When water moves easily from one place to another, it "flows." This word can also be used for the movement of traffic, information, and people.
- The water in this river flows south.
- The water in the toilet flowed very slowly until we had a plumber fix it.
- Water flowed into many homes during the flood.
- The Mississippi River flows into the the Gulf of Mexico.
- Electricity flows through wires.
- The flow of traffic came to a stop because of an accident.
- Information flows through the internet very quickly.
- The flow of immigration into the United States has been reduced in recent years. (This sentence is in the passive voice.)
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.