March 28, 2012 - Word of the Day: snooze
Use the word "snooze" when someone takes a nap or sleeps. It can also be used when someone isn't paying attention.
- She was caught snoozing at her desk.
- I took a quick snooze in the afternoon.
- Someone is taking a snooze in the park.
- Half of the people at the meeting were snoozing because it was so boring. (This means that they weren't paying attention.)
- If you snooze, you lose. (This is a common expression in the U.S. It means that if you don't pay attention, you will lose some benefit.)
- Don hit the snooze button on his alarm and continued to sleep. (The snooze button allows a person to sleep longer after the alarm goes off.)
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.