May 28, 2012 - Word of the Day
The word "gloomy" is an adjective. Use it to describe situations that are dark, such as the weather, one's mood, artwork, and economic prospects.
- The weather is very gloomy today. It's raining and the sky is gray.
- November is kind of a gloomy month. The sky is often dark and the days get shorter and shorter.
- Why does Andrea look so gloomy? Did she get some bad news?
- Edvard Munch's work feels very gloomy. His painting, The Scream, is a good example of this.
- The movie we saw last night was good, but it was also quite gloomy. A lot of people died at the end.
- Many people in the United States still feel gloomy about the economy; however, the situation is improving.
It's very gloomy today.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.