Whenever it's necessary to provide proof that something is true or something is a fact, you can use the word "verify."
- You verify your age or your identity with a driver's license or a passport.
- A company can verify who you are by calling you at your home.
- It's a good idea to keep information in your car so that you can verify you own the car and you have insurance for it.
- Medical tests can verify if a person has a disease or some form of cancer.
- Teachers use tests to verify whether or not their students have learned something.
The word "verification" is the noun form of "verify."
- I use my driver's license as a form of verification for my identity.
- Bars and restaurants often require verification of age before they serve alcohol to young people.
- Verification of citizenship is provided with a passport.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was first published on May 24, 2012. It was updated on January 23, 2016.