The word "precious" is similar to the word "valuable." Something that is precious can have a monetary (money) value, a sentimental (emotional) value, or it's priceless (extremely valuable):
- A person's life is very precious.
- A collection of photographs helps bring back many precious memories.
- Deanna's most precious memories are of the years she spent raising her children.
- LIfe on Earth exists due to a precious combination of timing and luck.
- That jewelry store sells precious gold and diamond jewelry worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- A good college education can be a person's most precious asset.
- It's unfortunate that so much precious time has been wasted working on a project that isn't going to be developed.
- They're wasting precious time.
Diamonds are precious because they are rare and very desirable.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was first published on November 11, 2012. It was updated on November 27, 2015.