November 7, 2012 - Word of the Day
A triumph is a big win or a victory.
- President Obama celebrated his triumph over his opponent.
- Democratic victories across the United States represented a major triumph for the Democratic Party.
- Members of the soccer team enjoyed their triumph in the days following the match.
- A sense of triumph swept through the country when it learned of the military victory.
The adjective form of this word is "triumphant."
- The winner of the contest was triumphant.
- A triumphant senator addressed her supporters.
- The city celebrated the triumphant success of its football team.
Note: Triumph is the name of a Canadian rock band popular in the 1970s and early 1980s. "Lay It On the Line" was one of their biggest hits. Triumph is also the name of a motorcycle.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.