A person who wants what another person has might be jealous (The word "envious" is a synonym.).
- Jimmy started to feel a little jealous of his baby sister who suddenly got more attention from his parents than he did.
- I heard you're going on vacation to Hawaii. I'm so jealous!
- Everyone is jealous of Sophia. She won the lottery.
The word "jealous" is especially useful when describing possible romantic attractions that occur outside of a relationship between two people.
Ed and Beth
- Jennifer became very jealous when she found out that her husband, Ed, had a relationship with a coworker named Beth.
- Dave might feel a little jealous if he ever finds out his girlfriend is working with a guy who looks like Brad Pitt.
- Jennifer is a jealous wife.
- Dave is a jealous boyfriend.
The noun form of this word is "jealousy."
- Ultimately, Joe's feelings of jealousy towards his wife doomed their relationship.
- Alana decided that she wouldn't be bothered by the jealousy that other people felt about her.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
The page was first published on September 19, 2012. It was updated on April 10, 2015.