April 21, 2013 - Word of the Day
To disturb something or someone is to move, bother, or cause problems.
- News reports about the bombing disturbed everyone.
- The noise from the party disturbed everyone's sleep.
- Don't disturb them. They're working.
- Construction in the wilderness area disturbed the surrounding environment.
- Your behavior disturbs me.
The words "disturbed" and "disturbing" are adjectives:
- This situation is very disturbing.
- This disturbing problem was finally addressed by the police and the community.
- A disturbed individual walked into the crowded movie theater and started shooting everyone.
The noun form of this word is "disturbance."
- Police responded to a disturbance in that house.
- The man was arrested for creating a disturbance.
Click here to learn more words.