August 22, 2013 - Word of the Day
An expert is a person who is very good at an activity or has a large amount of knowledge about a subject.
- Dan is an expert when it comes to wine.
- Rosa is an expert on antique jewelry.
- We consulted some experts for advice.
- He trained to become an expert on foreign relations.
- They hired an expert to take care of the problem.
Add "ise" to the end of "expert" to form the word "expertise." Expertise is experience.
- She was hired for her expertise in cooking Chinese food.
- He's widely admired for his expertise in making furniture.
- How much expertise does she have as a teacher?
- The company decided to go with expertise over educational background when making a hiring decision.
In these sentences, "expert" is an adjective:
- We need an expert opinion.
- She's an expert chef.
- He has expert knowledge in plumbing.
Mr. Cowan had expert knowledge of honeybees and honey production.
Click here to learn more words.