August 18, 2013 - Word of the Day
A server is a computer or a computer system that stores and distributes information to other computers.
This is a server.
- The New York Times had problems with its server last week, so their website was down.
- Server maintenance is an important task for large companies.
- My website is in the process of moving to a new server because the old server was causing problems.
- I uploaded a large number of files to the server.
A server is also a person who works at a restaurant and brings food to the table.
Many restaurants now prefer the word "server" over "waiter" (for a man) and "waitress" (for a woman).
- Patrick works as a server.
- The server took the order back to the kitchen.
- The new sports bar that opened across the street is hiring servers.
He works as a server.
Click here to learn more words.