When the electrical power is shut off by accident or because of weather-related problems, we call this a blackout.
- A severe ice storm caused a blackout in many parts of the city.
- A blackout during the Superbowl resulted in a 34-minute delay of the game.
- It's a good idea to keep candles handy in case of a blackout. (handy = available)
- Power was slowly restored during the blackout. (power = electricity)
- If a blackout lasts too long, you have to think about what to do with the food in your refrigerator. (In the winter, you can put it outside but not in the summer.)
- Rolling blackouts are common in countries where the government needs to conserve electricity.
- Blackouts were common in Baghdad during the war.
Transmission towers send electricity around the United States.
Click here to learn more words.
Published February 4, 2013