February 12, 2013 - Word of the Day
If something is brief, it's quick or short. This word is an adjective:
- After a brief delay, our plane left the airport.
- The teacher asked for a brief summary of the reading assignment.
- The meeting was brief. It lasted just fifteen minutes.
- Can we talk for a minute? I'll be brief.
- During the performance there was a brief intermission. (intermission: a short break for the audience and the performers)
To use this word as an adverb, add "ly" to the end of it:
- My computer briefly stopped working.
- Our boss spoke briefly about what happened in the office last week.
- The movie was briefly interrupted because there was a problem with the projector.
Click here to learn more words.