January 8, 2013 - Word of the Day
The word "base" has a few different meanings, but basically it refers to a foundation of some sort upon which things are made:
- On what do you base your opinions?
- He bases his opinion on something that he read in the newspaper.
- My methods for teaching English are based on twenty-five years of experience in the classroom.
- Stock made from chicken and vegetables is a good base for chicken soup.
- A pyramid is a good design for a structure because it has a solid base.
The word "base" can also be a location or a headquarters:
- Where is their company based? (Where are they located?)
- There are many U.S. military bases around the world.
- The capital of the United States is based in Washington, D.C.
A base is also an important part of the field when playing baseball. It's something that players touch with their feet. Here's a baseball field:
From home plate a batter hits the ball and then tries to touch all four bases: first base, second base, third base, and home plate.
If you want to learn more about the game of baseball, click here.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.