January 15, 2013 - Word of the Day
The word "slight" is an adjective that refers to a small amount or a small degree:
- There was a slight change in the temperature. It went from 12 degrees to 14 degrees Fahrenheit.
- A slight difference in their travel plans meant that they would arrive in Paris an hour earlier.
- The post office is asking for a slight increase in the price of a stamp. It will go up by a penny.
- There will be a slight delay at the airport.
The adverb form of this word is "slightly."
- The temperature changed slightly.
- It became slightly warmer. (It became a little warmer.)
- Ted's left foot is slightly larger than his right foot.
- Our plane was slightly delayed.
- The cake with the strawberries is slightly sweeter than the other one.
The cake on the left is slightly sweeter.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.