July 30, 2013 - Word of the Day
A blast is an explosion or some sort of strong force such as air, wind, or sound.
- The blast of a rifle could be heard for miles around.
- A loud blast awakened everyone in the middle of the night. The blast came from a factory explosion.
- A blast from an air horn ended the game. air horn
- A blast of cold air hit us as soon as we left the store and walked out onto the snow-covered street.
- The mayoral candidate was blasted by members of his own party for his participation in the scandal.
- Loudspeakers were blasting music too loudly for anyone to talk to each other. (The last two sentences use "blast" as a verb.)
The word "blast" is also used when people have a good time.
- We had a blast at the party.
- The wedding reception was a blast.
- That was a blast!
- The trip we took was a blast.
- This roller coaster is a blast!
Click here to learn more words.