July 16, 2013 - Word of the Day
To moan is to make a sound when in pain, or a person is upset about something:
- The man moaned in pain while he waited to see the dentist about a toothache.
- People could be heard moaning after the accident.
- The students moaned when they heard about their test results.
- You shouldn't moan. Be happy with what you have.
- What are you moaning about?
- Stop your moaning and get to work. (This sentence uses "moan" as a gerund."
- He's moaning because his stomach hurts.
The word "moan" can also be used as a noun:
- Moans could be heard underneath the rubble of the collapsed building following the earthquake.
- Several moans were audible after the verdict came back "not guilty."
Click here to learn more words.