July 13, 2013 - Word of the Day
To wrestle is to deal with a problem or participate in a contact sport between two people. Wrestling looks like this:
- They're wrestling.
- Hitting isn't allowed in the sport of wrestling.
- I used to wrestle when I was in school. (That was one of the sports I participated in.)
- Kids like to wrestle with each other.
- Cats also wrestle each other. (It looks like they're fighting, but they're just playing.)
The figurative meaning of this word is applied when a person manages a problem:
- The school is wrestling with financial problems.
- Thomas wrestled with his computer all morning until he finally figured out what was wrong.
- President Obama has to wrestle with some very difficult issues.
Click here to learn more words.