June 15, 2013 - Word of the Day
To feel anxious is to look forward to an event, to feel nervousness, worry, concern or fear.
- He feels a little anxious about his new job.
- She says she's anxious to get married.
- A growling dog outside the house made everyone very anxious.
- Roger is anxious to get going. (He wants to leave.)
- I feel anxious when I fly.
- Is there anything that causes you to feel anxious?
Add "ly" to the end of anxious to make the adverb, "anxiously."
- They're anxiously awaiting the arrival of their first baby.
- Sarah is anxiously waiting for a phone call from her mother.
The word "anxiety" is a noun:
- John is feeling a lot of anxiety about his upcoming court date.
- Jennifer's feelings of anxiety are rooted in her childhood.
- Do you have any anxieties?
Click here to learn more words.