If someone or something is dangerous or potentially dangerous, you can use the word "hazard" as a noun.
- That old building is a fire hazard. It has to be torn down.
- Oscar was judged to be suicidal and a hazard to himself, so he was hospitalized.
- The snowstorm created a hazard for drivers.
- The use of illegal drugs is a hazard that teenagers should avoid.
- After an earthquake, the Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan became a hazard.
- A used syringe is a biohazard.
Don't touch a used syringe.
The adjective form for this word is "hazardous."
- Driving in the snow became hazardous for several drivers, so they pulled off the road.
- Smoking can be hazardous to your health.
- This man works around hazardous and radioactive waste.
Click here to learn more words.
This page was first published on March 5, 2013. It was updated on January 31, 2017.