The word "normal" is similar to words such as average, typical, usual, routine, and regular.
- Mary leads a normal life. She has a husband and two kids.
- Matt works normal hours now. He used to work at night, but now he works from 9 to 5.
- It was a normal day until a tornado suddenly appeared and destroyed the town.
- We're lucky to have normal neighbors. Having crazy neighbors is not pleasant.
- That kind of behavior is not normal. What's wrong with him?
- The weather lately has been a little below normal for this time of year. In this part of the country, March should be cold, but we still have two feet of snow on the ground and the temperatures are in the single digits above zero.
The adverb form for this word is "normally."
- Bob normally leaves the house every morning at 7:30 a.m.
- The trains into the city normally arrive right on time.
- When Sally visits her sister in Dallas, she normally flies. This time, however, she's going to drive.
Click here to learn more words.
This page was first published on March 21, 2013. It was updated on February 11, 2017.