May 6, 2013 - Word of the Day
A fad is something that has temporary popularity. Fads are often started among teenagers, but adults also participate in the creation of a fad. There are fads in clothing, dieting, vacationing, and other activities that seem to change over time.
- Tanya avoids clothing fads when buying her clothes. She's very conservative.
- My friend, Matt, wears a hands-free device in his ear when talking on the phone, but most people think of this as a silly fad.
- Low-carb diets were a fad a few years ago. Now gluten-free diets are popular.
- The wearing of sagging pants by teenage boys is a fad that hopefully won't last much longer.
- Beanie Babies were a fad ten years ago.
- In the 1970s, mood rings and pet rocks were fads that made their creators very rich.
- Most fads come and go, but sometimes they remain popular enough to become a lasting part of the culture.
Clothing fads are a good way to increase sales!
Click here to learn more words.