To imagine is to use one's mind to think about possibilities. A person dreams about, visualizes, or considers something that does not exist right now.
- John Lennon imagined a world in which everyone could live in peace.
- The little girl likes to imagine that her stuffed animals are real animals and can talk.
- The little boy imagines that one day he will become a great soccer player.
- Imagine what you would do with your time if you had an entire month free from work or school.
- Imagine the possibilities!
The word "imagine" is often used in sentences and questions in place of the word "think."
- What do you imagine this might cost?
- I imagine she wants us to stay for dinner.
- How did they ever imagine they'd get this work finished on time?
- How does the new manager imagine his role in the company?
The word "imagination" is a noun:
- James has a wild imagination.
- You have to use your imagination when considering the quality of the art work.
- Sometimes her imagination gets the best of her.
- Let your imagination go wild.
- Use your imagination.
Do you like to use your imagination?
Click here to learn more words.
This page was first published on November 9, 2013. It was updated on July 16, 2016.