October 30, 2013 - Word of the Day
A ghost is the spirit of a person who has died. This spirit may or may not be visible to people. Sometimes ghosts make noises or move objects. Not everyone believes that ghosts are real, but almost everyone says that they are very scary. Ghosts portrayed in movies, in television, and in books are usually white or nearly transparent (You can see through them).
- Some people say that house is haunted by a ghost.
- Ghosts aren't real, are they?
- We saw a movie last weekend about a house full of ghosts.
- The children went out trick-or-treating on Halloween dressed as ghosts.
- Tom said he saw a ghost in the attic.
- She's so pale she looks like a ghost. (Her skin is very white.)
- She's as white as a ghost. (This is a common description of a person whose skin is very white or pale due to sickness.)
- She looks as though she's seen a ghost. (Some people say this when a person looks frightened.)
Click here to learn more words.