A vandal is a person who breaks or destroys something for fun or for revenge. Vandalism is the intentional damaging of property. This is usually regarded as a form of criminal activity.
- Vandals spray painted graffiti on the side of someone's garage.
- A vandal smashed a car window in the middle of the night.
- Homeowners woke up to find that vandals threw eggs and toilet paper all over their house.
- Vandalism may cost a lot of money to repair, but sometimes cleanup is easy; however, it's always irritating.
- Victims of vandalism should call their insurance company to file a claim for repairs.
Vandals smashed windows with bats.
The word "vandalize" is a verb:
- Someone vandalized the cars on our street.
- The bathrooms at the school are regularly vandalized.
- Vandalizing public property happens all over the world; in the United States it's very common. (This sentence uses "vandalizing" as a gerund.
He's vandalizing a bathroom stall.
Click here to learn more words.
This page was first published on October 22, 2013. It was updated on October 29, 2016.