September 4, 2013 - Word of the Day
The word "darling" is an adjective that is used when something or someone is beautiful, cute, or lovely.
- She's a darling little girl.
- They bought a darling house on a lake.
- That was a darling movie.
- This is just darling.
- My darling wife made an apple pie for me.
The word "darling" is also used as a term of endearment between people who are romantically involved. It's similar to "honey" or "sweetie."
- Where would you like to go for dinner, darling?
- Darling, please answer the door.
- She always calls her husband "darling."
Note: This is a word that a woman is more likely to use than a man. (Of course, some men might use "darling" also.) Eva Gabor, a famous Hungarian actress on American TV in the 60s and 70s, used the word "darling" when addressing just about anyone, whether familiar or not.
The role for which Eva Gabor is best known is as Lisa Douglas on the sitcom Green Acres.
Click here to learn more words.