The word "idiot" is a popular word to use when describing a person as stupid or careless, or when expressing unhappiness with another person's decision. (This word is a noun).
- That idiot is driving the wrong way on a one-way street.
- Rosa says her boss is an idiot.
- He's an idiot for leaving his kids in the car on a hot summer day.
- What kind of an idiot would do that?
- There's an idiot down the street who cuts his grass at seven in the morning.
- Everyone said that Ned was an idiot for what he did.
The word "idiocy" is also a noun. It describes a situation:
- To continue doing the same thing over and over again, despite the negative consequences, is sheer idiocy.
- Human beings can't seem to shake the idiocy of war.
The word "idiotic" is an adjective.
- That's an idiotic idea.
- Whose idiotic decision was this?
- Some idiotic people are making noise down the street.
- Sarah came up with an idiotic reason for leaving class early.
- This movie is totally idiotic.
Click here to learn more words.
This page was first published on September 9, 2013. It was amended on January 10, 2015.