The word "haste" refers to speed or excessive speed that leads to mistakes.
- In her haste, she forgot to bring her laptop to work this morning.
- Realizing they were in danger, they left the country in great haste.
- The sloppiness of the work was attributed to carelessness and haste.
- Haste makes waste. (This is a fairly common expression. If you do something too quickly, you are likely to make a costly mistake.)
The adjective form of this word is "hasty."
- Don't be too hasty.
- Try not to make a hasty decision. Slow down and think about this.
- She came to a hasty conclusion after seeing her boyfriend with another woman.
- Fearing for his life, the soldier made a hasty retreat.
He made a hasty retreat.
Click here to learn more words.
This page was originally published on April 8, 2014.