April 26, 2014 - Word of the Day: legible
If something is legible, that means it's possible to read it. This word refers to the quality of handwriting or the words that have been printed on a piece of paper.
- This note is barely legible. (It's hard to read because the quality of the handwriting is bad.)
- The words written by the three-year old boy were clearly legible.
- You need to learn how to write more legibly. (The word "legibly" is an adverb.)
- Doctors are known to write prescriptions that are not very legible.
- Is this legible enough for you to read?
- This is illegible. (illegible = the opposite of "legible.")
Click here to learn more words.