April 16, 2014 - Word of the Day: penalize
The word "penalize" is often used to describe a mild punishment that comes from government, business, or from someone in a position of authority, such as a teacher, a referee, or a judge. This word can be pronounced with a short e or a long e sound in the first syllable: penalize / penalize.
- The player was penalized for hitting another player on the field.
- The company was penalized for failing to meet safety regulations for employees.
- The teacher penalized Ahmed for turning in his homework late.
- Christine feels like she's being penalized at work because she made a comment that her supervisor didn't like.
- The government will penalize you if you don't pay your taxes by April 15.
The word "penalty" is a noun.
- You have to pay a penalty if your taxes aren't paid in time.
- How much is the penalty for a person who doesn't have health insurance?
- American football teams are given 10-yard penalties for bad behavior on the field.
- A penalty in soccer (football) may take the form of a free kick.
Click here to learn more words.