April 20, 2014 - Word of the Day: teach
To teach is to show someone how to do something, or information is passed from one person to another. This word is similar to the words "train" and "instruct."
- Steve teaches English. (present tense)
- He's teaching today. (present continuous tense)
- He taught in Boston before moving to Bogota. (past tense)
- He has taught English at many different schools. (present perfect tense)
- He has been teaching English since 1995. (present perfect continuous)
This next set of sentences is in the passive voice:
- Dogs are taught to behave. (present tense)
- My dog was taught how to sit and stay. (past tense)
- She has been taught how to do many different things. (present perfect tense) I'm the one who trained her.
A person who teaches is called a teacher.
He's a teacher.
- The teacher for this class is Mr. Jensen.
- He's been a teacher for just five years.
- There are over 100 teachers at this school.
Click here to learn more words.