August 26, 2014 - Word of the Day: reflect
To reflect is to think back on the past and consider the importance of past events and experiences.
In these sentences, the word "reflect" is used as a verb:
- The people attending the memorial service paused to reflect on the lives that were lost. (reflect = think deeply about something; ponder.)
- Dan's bad grades don't reflect his potential as a student. (reflect = show)
- The bad behavior of the military reflected poorly on the people of that country.
- The success of their business reflects all of the hard work that they put into it.
- Sunlight is reflecting off of the lake. (reflect = light or images project towards another place.)
Light is reflecting off of the water.
To make the noun form of this word, add the "ion" ending:
- If you look into a mirror, you will see your reflection.
- Dora's bad behavior is a reflection of poor parenting.
- September 11 is an opportunity for reflection upon the events leading up to and following the attacks in 2001.
Click here to learn more words.